My Story, My Mission
2018 Adventist Mission Film Contest
Welcome to the 2018 Adventist Mission film contest! This year’s theme is “My Story, My Mission.” Adventist students around the world are invited to creatively express, in 1 minute or less, what mission means in their lives.
Submit your film by
August 31 September 2, 2018, for your chance to go on an all-expenses-paid film trip with Adventist Mission/Mission Spotlight® to gain résumé-worthy experience, learn from professionals, and improve your skills!
Prompt: Tell your own mission story or the story of someone you know!
or Demonstrate how mission is alive in your everyday life.
Length: 1 minute or less (including 3 seconds of black at the end)
Resolution: Minimum Full HD, at least 1920 x 1080 pixels
Cost: Entry is free.
All films must be submitted with a completed entry form through AdventistMission.org/filmcontest by 11:59 p.m. on
August 31 September 2, 2018.
Read the full contest rules and terms & conditions below.
First Place: The winner will accompany Adventist Mission/Mission Spotlight® filmmakers on an international, all-expense-paid film trip. All essential costs for airfare, transportation, lodging, and meals on location will be covered, as well as any required visa fees. The winner will be responsible for any passport and vaccination fees. The winner will help film a mission story on location somewhere around the world and/or be featured on camera. This film will be given special recognition and will be screened online, on social media, and/or other venues.
Second Place: The winner will receive their choice of a GoPro HERO6 Black camera or DJI Spark drone. This film will be given special recognition and will be screened online, on social media, and/or other venues.
Third Place: The winner will receive the DJI Osmo Mobile Gimbal Stabilizer. This film will be given special recognition and will be screened online, on social media, and/or other venues.
Honorable Mentions: Up to 5 entries may receive an honorable mention, which includes a cash prize of US$25 each. These films will be given special recognition and will be screened online, on social media, and/or other venues.
Judges Choice Award: The winner will receive a Ricoh Theta SC Spherical camera. This film will be given special recognition and will be screened online, on social media, and/or other venues.
1. A judging panel will select up to 5 finalists.
2. First-, second-, and third-place winners will be chosen from these finalists by online public voting.
3. The judging panel will also select entries deserving honorable mention and a judges choice award.
4. Winners will be announced at the Society of Adventist Communicators convention in October 2018, and via social media and the Adventist Mission website.
Q: Can I enter more than one film?
A: No, only one film per student is permitted.
Q: Is Adventist Mission hosting this contest just to get free films?
A: No, Adventist Mission created the student film contest to spark an interest in mission involvement in students and young filmmakers.
Q: I’m not from North America. Can I still enter the contest?
A: This contest is open to Adventist students from anywhere in the world. If you meet all eligibility requirements, you can enter the contest.
Q: Which country will the first-place winner go to?
A: We take into account the winner’s schedule and interests, which means that the destination is not preplanned. The 2017 contest winner visited two countries in Asia!
Q: I’m 18 but I’m still in secondary/high school. Can I enter the contest?
A: Yes, all students ages 18-25 who otherwise meet eligibility requirements may enter.
Q: Who are the judges?
A: The members of the judging panel are still being recruited, but the panel will represent Adventist media and communication professionals from around the world.
Q: The online voting seems like a popularity contest. What’s the point?
A: We hope entrants will be able to share and inspire their friends and families with their passion for mission and film. Online voting gives entrants the opportunity to share this with the world.
“My Story, My Mission” was created by Adventist Mission to spark interest in mission involvement in student and young filmmakers.
Please review all contest rules, terms, and conditions. By submitting your film, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to all terms and conditions.
1. To be eligible, entrants 1) must be 18-25 years of age, and 2) must be current college or university students, or have attended college or university within the previous two years at the time of entry, or plan to attend a college or university within 6 months at the time of entry. All entrants must self-identify as Seventh-day Adventist Christians and/or attend a Seventh-day Adventist-affiliated educational institution.
2. Films must be 60 seconds or less in length and must include 3 seconds of black at the end. Submissions may be disqualified for exceeding this time limit.
3. Films must be completed by
4. Films must not promote a specific organization or entity that is not listed in the Seventh-day Adventist Yearbook. No paid commercial, theatrical, or TV releases will be accepted for competition.
5. Films submitted for past Adventist Mission competitions are not eligible.
6. The first-place winner of any past Adventist Mission film contest is not eligible for entry. Past entrants who received other prizes are eligible for entry.
7. All films must be submitted with a completed entry form through AdventistMission.org/filmcontest by 11:59 p.m. (GMT-11) on August 31, 2018.
8. All films must have a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 pixels.
9. Major creative or production roles must be filled by students or recent graduates. Adventist Mission reserves the right to disqualify a film if there is significant creative influence by teachers or other professionals.
10. Filmmakers are responsible for obtaining all licenses, rights, permissions, waivers, and/or releases for all protected material utilized (e.g., music, images, video clips, or actors/subjects used in the film) and must be able to submit evidence of the right to use the protected material in the submitted film.
11. Submitted films must follow the “My Story, My Mission” theme and portray uplifting messages, refraining from inappropriate material, offensive language, nudity, or sexually explicit scenes. Adventist Mission has the absolute and sole discretion to determine whether the submission is offensive or inappropriate.
12. Films not in English must be subtitled or dubbed in English. The only exception is if there is no spoken word.
13. Only one entry is permitted per person.
14. Winners will be notified by an Adventist Mission representative on or by October 20, 2018, via email. Filmmakers are responsible for ensuring that the email address used in their entry form is accurate. Adventist Mission is not liable for emails delayed by spam filters, server rejections, outdated email addresses, or any other technical or human error. Winners will publicly be announced at the Society of Adventist Communicators convention being held October 18-20, 2018 and via social media.
15. Contest entry is free. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not increase chances of winning.
16. Adventist Mission employees and immediate family members are NOT eligible to participate in Adventist Mission’s film contest.
17. By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these rules, terms, and conditions. You represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of Adventist Mission as final and binding as it relates to the content of this contest.
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY ALL THE CONTEST RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
Terms & Conditions
Your submission represents that the film is an original work; that all rights and clearances have been obtained; and further agrees to indemnify and hold Adventist Mission, its successors and assigns, harmless from any claim arising out of this film.
You understand and agree that the Office of Adventist Mission (“Adventist Mission”), anyone acting on behalf of Adventist Mission’s name, and its successors and assigns shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Your submission into the Contest grants Adventist Mission permission to contact you, the Filmmaker, through any medium, including but not limited to email, phone call, standard mail, or in person, regarding contest results, prizes, verification of eligibility, and for other processes necessary for the proper execution of the Contest.
No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. A prize of similar value may be substituted if listed prize becomes unavailable, if shipping or import duties make costs prohibitive, or if the prize cannot be delivered because of country limitations or restrictions. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Adventist Mission to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
By submitting your film to Adventist Mission, the filmmaker grants (1) nonexclusive rights to publicly screen their film; (2) nonexclusive rights to showcase their film in as many screenings as required; (3) nonexclusive rights to repeat films via all media outlets including but not limited to broadcast, cable, internet, podcasts, etc. through December 31, 2025, to the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, and any of its affiliates without further compensation.
This license shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the State of Maryland without consideration of conflicts of the law provisions and principles. All claims between the parties, regardless of the legal theory and whenever brought, shall be resolved in the State or U.S. District Court in Maryland. The Filmmaker expressly stipulates to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the state of Maryland.
This license constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the use of films and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings regarding such subject matter. No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless in writing and signed by an authorized representative of Adventist Mission. Nothing in this Agreement constitutes a waiver of Adventist Mission’s rights under U.S. patent and copyright laws or any other Federal or State law, nor of any Federal or State law, nor of any of Adventist Mission’s rights under this agreement.
ADVENTIST MISSION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE A FILM FROM THE CONTEST FOR ANY REASON OR FOR NO REASON AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIMS OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF SUCH REMOVAL.