Mashed Potato and Mushroom Patties
Made with simple ingredients, these patties are delicious as an entrée or as a side dish. You can personalize the recipe by adding your favorite herbs or spices.
2 tablespoons butter or oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cups potatoes, cooked and mashed, still warm
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups fine breadcrumbs, dried
3–4 tablespoons additional oil for frying
1. In a small skillet melt the butter or oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until soft.
3. Add the mushrooms; sauté for 3 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the sautéed onions and mushrooms with the mashed potatoes, egg, and salt.
5. With your hands, shape the mixture into small, round patties. (Use about 3 tablespoons per patty.) The patties will be soft.
6. Roll the patties in the breadcrumbs.
7. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and fry about 5 minutes or until patties are golden and crisp. Then turn patties over to cook the other side. (Do not let the edges of the patties touch each other in the pan; they will be easier to turn.)
The patties are delicious just as they are, but they can also be served with gravy or tomato sauce.
Baked Eggs and Green Beans
Perfect whenever fresh green beans are available, this dish adds color and texture to any meal.
4 cups fresh green beans, stemmed and chopped
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter, or oil
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium pan, cook the green beans in salted water (enough water to cover the beans) over medium-high heat until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain.
3. Transfer the beans to a large bowl. Add the butter or oil, dill, parsley, nutmeg, eggs, and lemon juice, if using. Stir until the green bean mixture is combined well. Spread evenly in a baking dish.
4. Bake until the eggs are set, about 20 minutes.
Top with chopped tomatoes, or serve with sliced tomatoes on the side.
Sweet Honey Walnuts
(Yields 4 cups)
Glazed walnuts make an elegant impression and are so easy to make. Cook the nuts in the honey mixture for the full 12 minutes to achieve the beautiful caramelized color and texture.
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup honey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups walnuts, shelled (not chopped)
1. In a medium saucepan combine the butter, honey, lemon zest, and cinnamon over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and then stir in the walnuts.
2. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently for about 12 minutes, until the walnuts are coated and caramelized.
3. Remove from heat and spread the walnuts on foil. Cool.
4. Break into clumps and store in an airtight container.
Honey glazed walnuts can be eaten as a snack, added to green salads, served with fruit, or used as a topping for ice cream or cake.