Thirteenth Sabbath Program
We would like to share a quiz with you to see if you have learned about this quarter’s mission emphasis as well as the children have.
If your division will present the Thirteenth Sabbath program for the adults:
- Prepare to present your theme song for this quarter, or choose to sing a song well-known and loved by the children.
- Review with the children the information needed for the quiz before the Thirteenth Sabbath program, as they will be answering the quiz questions during the program.
- Send home a note to remind parents of the program and to encourage the children to bring their Thirteenth Sabbath Offering the next week.
- If your division will not join the adults for a special program, make Thirteenth Sabbath special by inviting a special guest to speak to the children about life in Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay or one of the other countries in South America. Encourage the speaker to bring items that will interest the children and help them to understand the culture and challenges of the people there. You may still use the quiz in the children’s division—they enjoy sharing what they have learned!
- Remind the children to bring their Thirteenth Sabbath Offering. Make the offering appeal a big event in Sabbath School. Count the money and let the children know how much they have brought for missions during the quarter. Praise them for what they have done and let them know that their offerings will make a big difference to children just like them who live in the South American Division.
Teacher: This quarter we have learned many things and have heard wonderful stories about people living in the countries of Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. These countries are part of the South American Division. The children are eager to share what they have learned with you, and are ready to take a little mission quiz. While you listen to the children, see how many of the answers you know!
OK, children. Are you ready? (Wait for their response.) I will ask you a question about what you have learned during our mission time this quarter, and if you think you know the answer, raise your hand.
Q 1: How many countries are in the South American Division? (a) 9, (b) 12, or (c) 18. [Answer: (c) 9 countries]
Q 2: Who can name at least three countries that are in the South American Division? [Answer: Any three of the following—Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Falkland Islands, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay]
Q 3: The South American Division is one of the fastest-growing divisions of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. How many members are in this division? Nearly (a) 1.5 million, (b) 2.3 million, (c) 4.2 million (d) 5.1 million [Answer: (b) 2.3 million]
Q 4: In Paraguay, what was it that Pedrito wanted to do that angered his father so much that he made Pedrito eat outside? [Answer: Pedrito wanted to pray and thank God for the food.]
Q 5: What is Nuevo Tiempo in Uruguay? [Answer: The Adventist radio station in Uruguay]
Q 6: What are the two main languages spoken in South America? [Answer: Spanish and Portuguese]
Q 7: What is the name of the mission boat that sails on the Amazon River? [Answer: The Luzeiro]
Q 8: What does luzeiro mean in Portuguese? [Answer: light bearer]
Q 9: Who were the first missionaries to sail on the Luzeiro and help the people along the Amazon? [Answer: Leo and Jessie Halliwell]
Q 10: In our first mission story this quarter, titled “Angels on the Amazon,” what happened to the three hitchhikers who helped steer the Luzeiro so it wouldn’t hit the rocks? [Answer: They disappeared]
Q 11: How long is the Amazon River? [Answer: About 6,400 kilometers, or about 4,000 miles]
Q 12: What is the name of the Adventist academy where the “River Boys” went to school? [Answer: IAAI, (pronounced E-I)]
Q 13: This is the flag of which country in the South American Division? [Show the flag (or picture of flag) of Uruguay.]
Q 14: What will our Thirteenth Sabbath Offering help to do in Uruguay? [Answer: It will help to build a new church and a center of influence so that more people can learn how to live healthfully and to love Jesus.]
Q 15: This is the flag of which country in the South American Division? [Show the flag (or picture of flag) of Paraguay.]
Q 16: What will our Thirteenth Sabbath Offering help to do in Paraguay? [Answer: It will help people learn about Jesus and the Adventist message through a new church plant in Asuncion, and help them to learn to live healthfully by building a center of influence.]
Q 17: This is the flag of which country in the South American Division? [Show the flag (or picture of flag) of Brazil.]
Q 18: What will our Thirteenth Sabbath Offering help to do in Brazil? [Answer: It will help reach thousands of people for Jesus who live along the Amazon River by building two floating churches, and will provide a church for the students at IAAI.]
Narrator: The Thirteenth Sabbath has traditionally been a time when Adventists bring an extra generous offering to help the people in the featured division spread the Adventist message of hope to the people there. Thank you so much for giving generously to help the people in the Amazon jungles of Brazil, and in the capital cities of Paraguay and Uruguay. Please know that your gifts really help! Thank you!